Tuesday, January 15, 2019

#TechTipTuesday - Using Google Maps with Siri

I will be the first to admit it, I do not particularly care for the native iPhone Maps navigation software. I keep waiting for it to get better as they keep promising that it will, but every-time I am in a pinch and ask Siri to get directions to a location I find myself getting stuck in construction, or driving way far out of the way, and even sometimes taking me to a not specific  destination.

I know it will get better with time...but I do not have time to waste on poor directions when there are so many other services that are far more reliable and just seem to get me better.

I prefer to use Google Maps for the most part, occasionally I dabble with Waze, but my go to is Google Maps. It get's me where I want to go, it gives me timely lane navigation and prepares me for what I will need to be doing in a few miles vs suddenly being told....to turn left as I fly past the turn.

So, how can we capitalize on using Siri hands free while getting all the benefits of Google Maps.

To sum it up: Siri Shortcuts!

I found this awesome article giving you the step by step instructions on how to set up the short cut and use it:




How to Use Google Maps or Waze with Siri Instead of Apple Maps

When driving, you can get directions hands-free by asking Siri. You can also make general map searches, show a location's details, call a query's phone number, and view traffic details. However, Siri defaults to Apple Maps for all those. If you prefer Google Maps, Waze, or another third-party navigation app, the map-based Siri commands won't work.
I downloaded and setup the Shortcut following the instructions, and aside from the very nature of the shortcuts app being ever so slightly clunky, the shortcut works great.

I say "hey Siri"
wait a second for her to acknowledge me, and then I say to her to "Get Directions" which is the key phrase I used (you can change it to what ever you'd like)

And then she opens up short cuts then opens up voice dictation.

I say a location or place and then Google Maps opens and the step by step directions immediately starts reading them aloud to me. 

Happy navigating.



No comments:

Post a Comment