Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Things I've been up to

20111221-135948.jpgSeems I've been rather busy since returning from Thanksgiving break. Thought I would share a few of the things I've been working on and elaborate on them in other posts.

The Hixson Hive
7th grade science weather video projects
Preparing for a Website Awareness Month
Meetings: BYOD, Reforming Building Tech Committee, Support Staff
Creating a trailer for the school musical
The Hixson Student show
Using new video editing software
Filming the school Musical
Social Studies Green Screen project
Filming, editing, posting French Class video

Whew, I'm exhausted even after recapping all of the things I've been working on and I feel like I've left things out.

Stay tuned for more...

Monday, December 5, 2011

Green Screenin' in the media center

Our 7th grade science students have recently been working within a weather unit where there is an emphasis to produce a video segment using green screen.  Since the first group we've managed to successfully determine the correct amount time needed to complete said project in which the students have put together information about a weather phenomena, presented the information on camera and added in footage of the weather event  behind them.

We've managed to discover a slew of issues, 90% of them stemming from the fact that we are working on equipment that is 9 years old and extremely sluggish. Our first teacher, @meyersroom, has managed to persevere and discover all the issues so that we can correct them for our next 2 teachers who are doing the project starting Tuesday, December 6th.

The project does a nice job of providing exposure to production and multimedia tools but does not allow for every student to have full access to explore a media rich product from start to finish. It seems that little time is available for teaching/sharing/showing/allowing time to explore the software the students are using, which I contribute to the fact that this is the only project in science that the students do where they would use these tools or software. If this was the first of a series of projects then the students and teachers could give time to learning/understanding the tools. Currently we are expecting the students to produce something which may be the first time they've ever even filmed/edited/etc.

I've spent the day working in the classroom helping to guide the students into importing their footage and trouble shooting through how to edit their footage and have had the opportunity to discuss possible ideas for  development of future video productions in science and allowing the student in future endeavors to choose a video production for a future project instead of mandating that every student do the same thing.

Tomorrow we start on our next batch of green screen video projects with a new set of students.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Time to blow the dust of the blog

The time has come to wipe away the cobwebs sitting on my blog and freshen it up with a bit of new content. As it is I find my mind swirling with information that I would love to publicize, share, and get others thoughts and feed back on, unfortunately it seems, time, life, and my job are against me. Lucky for my blog, I've come to terms with these facts and am hoping to reboot and update my system with a bit of micro-blogging techniques.

Always seems I have time to write a little here and there, or share a thought or photo as I am moving from meeting to meeting, or from classroom to classroom.

Stay tuned, grab a cup of coffee and don't lose me in the your RSS feeds.